Sunday, October 03, 2010

Module 3 - Response to Chapter 6 and My Take on Vocabulary


I regularly give my students vocabulary words at the beginning of each unit/chapter. They usually have around 20 words to define, and 10 of those words are on a vocabulary quiz. I have attended workshops that say this method does not work. I’d respectfully disagree. I pick the vocabulary words from the standards, rather than from the textbook as suggested by our textbook. These are the terms the state of Georgia expects them to know. They are also the terms the state will ask them on the EOCT and the GHSGT. I feel like the students need to know these key terms in order to understand the unit/chapter. If they have a good understanding of these words, they will basically have the big picture of the unit/chapter.
Students have about a week to define the terms using the glossary of their textbook. During that time I am teaching the unit and the majority of the list will be taught in class. I go over the ten words on the quiz the day before the quiz. Then on the quiz itself the students basically match the term with the definition. Pretty easy. But I still have students get some of the easiest questions wrong. Rebellion led by Nathanial Bacon against the colonial governor of Virginia – Bacon’s Rebellion. It is right in front of them on the quiz, but every time a few students get it wrong.
Every few weeks I use the vocabulary words to review material already taught. I tell my students they are not allowed to forget anything. I put the terms and definitions into a powerpoint presentation to act like electronic flashcards. I also use the powerpoints to review for the midterm, final exam, EOCT, and GHSGT.
I like my system and it seems to work for me, for the most part. I think I’d have a hard time using some of the activities the book suggested for teaching vocabulary. I guess I don’t really teach the words except in context of their place in the unit.
I’d welcome comments or suggestions from anyone who sees something I am doing wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Your strategies for vocabulary instruction seem very easy for you. That is, it seems like it wouldn't take much to have students identify the words, model the words in context during instructino, review the words before the assessment, and then quiz the students on their knowledge of those words. It must be really frustrating to still have students provide incorrect answers on the quiz. Perhaps, trying more hands on experiences and opportunities for students to manipulate the vocabulary will lead to the students developing a better sense of the words, internalizing the vocabulary. I read in Clay's blog, that he has the students write funyn short stories using the vocabulary terms. This may or may not be something that you can use. Maybe having students create graphic organizers or try to find news articles using those words will allow them to gain a better understanding of the words. It seems to me that your students just need to "do more" with the words. Hope this helps and wasn't offensive. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like your system works for you (your teaching), but how does it work for students (their learning outcomes)? The rule of thumb is that students need to use words - regularly if new words - before they can internalize these words. Ashley has a great suggestions. The more you can associate words with experiences (connections to schema), the better the words become part of their personal lexicon. You can respectfully disagree, but I'll ask you to produce the evidence.

    ReplyDelete